Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Election

Just a quick post.

I am just sick that I have to work evenings almost the entire week of the Democratic convention. I love to watch that stuff. All the speeches, all the crazy costumes.

"The Great State of Missoura, Home of the badgerheads, cast its vote for..."

The Convention reminds me of something that I has been on my mind and I have been meaning to write about.

Over the past year I have been sitting with women, usually in a group of knitters and the talk has turned to the campaign. Many of us were excited about the rise in Barack Obama's fortunes and were thrilled to have him become the party's nominee. Despite having lost in Massachusetts, which a friend from Chicago could not believe. "I thought Massachusetts was a progressive place", she railed.

Well it is. And that brings me to my next point.

I had noticed while sitting in various groups that when the talk came to politics and Barack Obama that some of the women had remained silent. I thought that odd at the time. But then of course it dawned on me.

These women support Hillary Clinton. Of course they did. These women who I was fond of, respected and admired were looking forward to nominating the first woman candidate for the Presidency. It was so easy to assume that people who were so like minded as myself in so many ways would support the same candidate.

Well, these are heady times and the time has come to nominate the Democratic party's nominee for President of this country. I cannot state that I understand the residual hard feelings that are said to reside in the Clinton camp. I do not dismiss them. I just believe that it is time for us all to come together. If anyone believes that the John McCain can do a better job because of his experience, that is their right.

But how can the majority of Americans survive another four years of a Republican presidency ?

War, gas prices, the housing crisis ? Just to start.
The poor get poorer , the greedy rich get filthy richer and the rest of us are stuck in the middle. Stuck.

We need change. Now.

No comments: